The Church Chip Baggers

The Church Chip Bags

About a year ago the girls and I️ started attending Life.church. I️ can say with complete confidence that it has been one of the best decisions I️ made. My growth as a person, as a spiritual leader and overall heart has been encouraged and supported by the people and messages shared.

For those of you who know me I️ have one little “chip on my shoulder” about the Chip Bags served by the sweetest hospitable hosts every Sunday morning along with wonderful coffee and crisp apples. Never before had this particular noise created such an issue for me until I️ sat that first week in the sanctuary and was serenaded by the musical melodies of crunching, wrestling, crumpling, smacking, finger licking, and finally, hard pressing index fingers against the bag to get the last crumbs and bit of seasoning for that final taste and finger cleaning sucking indulgence of those blessed Doritos or Cheeto goodness! I never knew such absolutely ridiculous talent existed.

For a year now each Sunday I anxiously await the musical melodies. If you are sitting around me you will likely find me randomly laughing during the service as I think of all the ways that I could possibly confiscate the chip bags. Most of those instances End in what I find quite hilarious, instant gratification scenarios of chip bag removal. 

It is a blasted good thing for those talented church chip baggers that I don’t ever act out my dreamt up scenario of chips and bags flying through the air and simultaneously landing as I️ leap towards the next(imagine this all in slow mo).

Let me now get to the revelation this great annoyance has allowed me the opportunity or some incredible growth and shall we say will power. Here are a couple of things Doritos and those addicting Cheetos that these indulgent children of God have been partaking in...

  1. Satan wants nothing more than for chip bags to be a distraction from growing stronger in the Lord by hindering my ability to hear the word of God being taught. 
  2. The realization that not everyone is overly aware of others feelings.
  3. I️ can actually control my reactions, thoughts and behaviors!

Over the last few months, I’ve learned some pretty profound lessons about life through my initial noise sensitivity to chip bags. I️ had to come to the realization that this great annoyance was probably triggering anxiety and something deeper within me that really had nothing to do with the sound of the chip bag. 

The consumers are just enjoying the savory goodness of some good ol snacks while listening to Pastor Craig...by the way...that man can dress! And yes, I’ll admit, that is sometimes distracting too!!😳 they came to hear the word of God as well. So why aren’t they equally annoyed?

I’ve come to realize that Satan is using the chips bags as a DISTRACTION, because guess what?! He knows exactly what am capable of when my heart and mind are completely focused on Christ! When the people and things of this world are not turning my eyes, ears and heart away from the only ONE who deserves me complete time and devotion. You know, it’s not just the annoying sounds that Satan uses to distract us. Distractions occur every passing minute with our phones, social media, alcohol, hobby’s we worship, work, relationships...you name it! Satans goal is to completely distract us from the word of God so that we stray and wonder around with no direction, purpose or hope, to keep us suffering in pain, wallowing in our sorrow. He’s not interested in healing. He’s interested in keeping us in a state of worthlessness, pain and destruction so that he wins!

We have a God who yearns for our attention, not for selfish gain but so that we can experience true, complete freedom. Our actions and love are a reflection of a God who showed us such grace when he said come as we are. Broken, and defeated and I️ will strengthen you and defeat the enemy for you! 

Was challenged this morning to stand up against the enemy and say NO MORE! To speak “boldly” about all God has done in my life to defeat the enemy. I want to be so grounded in Christ that when the devil starts to attack, I’m stronger than the loudest chip bagger band. If the band grows louder...I️ may hear, but I️ want my eyes so focused on Christ that I’m able to tune out the annoying distractions, and opinions that don’t point me towards the cross. 

Moral of the story...all you chip baggers are safe and don’t have to duck for cover next time you see me coming down your aisle. God used you to teach me quite the lesson about allowing distractions to eat me! No pun intended! So, CHEERS...to chip baggers everywhere! Thank you for enjoying every finger licking, last crumb!!!








Comments