The Only Way Out is Through-Enduring the Fiery Furnace

Have you ever wondered or taken just a moment to imagine what it would be like to watch Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego from the viewpoint of King Nebuchadnezzer? He ordered these men to be thrown into the fire; 7 times hotter than normal might I add, because they refused to worship him. Even the guards who were leading the three men immediately died because of the heat the furnace generated. SMA knew that by bowing to this King they would be disobeying their heavenly father. They were willing to die for HIM! This truly gives me goosebumps as I envision these men. They trusted God's plan and had no fear of the future. (Daniel 3)

These men left that fiery furnace completely unharmed, not even a hair on their head singed!!!  They emerged from the flames more resilient, with greater joy and a stronger faith. Without a hint of bitterness. They committed to loving God more; not less, with every inch of their lives. They committed to God an unknown future because they believed and knew that the refining had a GREATER purpose. The suffering would bring blessings that might not make sense during the storm but only after the clouds had lifted. 

Now imagine being King Nebuchadnezzer...he witnessed the saving grace of a God he had rebelled against! He was overtaken with complete repentance! To me, this would have been breath-taking, life changing and completely inspiring. The opportunity he had to witness the miracle of God...just in the same way we have the chance to show others the grace and love of God by sharing, sometimes even screaming about what HE has done! 

No one wants to be thrown into the furnace but what I have learned over the last month after a devastating heart break; as I emerge from my own fiery prison, is that it is there and there only, we are able to clearly see what needs refining. It is there that we begin to find true healing and it is within the fire, that we gain wisdom, strength and our faith is restored. I have learned that God TRULY knows best and that the furnace is not a punishment but rather an OPPORTUNITY for us allow God to exceed our expectations! If we only want Him to meet them, how can he possible do bigger and greater things than our hearts or minds could imagine. The fire gives us the opportunity to fully surrender what we know and think is best to the ONLY ONE who truly does, trusting completely even when things don't make sense.

More than anything I have come to understand that there is no escape from the immense, paralyzing pain of refining. THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH!!! We can numb the pain and we can try to run from it, but it will follow us in every facet of life. There is no getting rid of it quick, or stuffing to our core...it eventually seeps out like a colander. We have to be present and take one step at a time, one tear after the other. We have to sometimes grit our teeth, bang on the steering wheel and remember to breath much like a labor pain. After the intensity of the contraction, there is a peace again but only if we endure and breath through the pain.

One thing I have found so important to be aware of during my time in the furnace is to always listen to intuitions. I believe that is a way the Holy Spirit speaks truth to us. Speaking in ways that may not be exactly audible but perhaps in the discomfort or unsettledness we feel after an encounter. Having listened to what I knew was most likely truth could have have eliminated a lot of future pain and immense heoart ache. In the fire I am learning that in those cases I am just as guilty for choosing to not obey what God was clearly speaking. I am not a victim in the situation because there were God given signs that I chose to ignore to avoid discomfort and loneliness. All in hind sight but all so incredibly good to be aware of and something I would not have learned had the fire furnace not gobbled me up.

In the furnace I have had the realization that since a young child, I have become what everyone else needed to me and never what God intended for me to be. I worked so hard on showing others their value that I forgot to relish in my own identity and worth. I will work so hard and never forgetting that my heart and identity is not found in what I do, how I serve or how I even show love to others. It is found in Christ and who HE alone says I am. I truly believe this will be an ongoing awareness as I go through life and discover who I was created to be. 

Unless you have been in the furnace just merely reading that God is a comforter is not the same as knowing the comfort of God. Understanding that God is a deliverer is vastly different from experiencing his deliverance. And knowing that Jesus can save cannot be compared with worshiping him as my Savior. 

ALL of this leads me to this epiphany I was given while standing in front of my mirror the other day. I have not really known what it was like to truly be single. To be content with being home alone, or going out exploring on my own. It has been something I have been ultra aware of but have not mastered yet. So, I thought to myself...what can I do in Wichita as a single woman that does not involve Mort's on a monday night(nothing wrong with this, but not all I want) or drinking at Newport, or taking a bottle of wine to a friends house. See the common denominator? Alcohol. I want to do more, experience more but I have had no idea where to start. 

So, heres the deal. I am going on a journey for the next 6 months(some may not understand or agree with this time frame, but I truly believe God said to wait...if HE says wait, then I plan to listen because I know the fruits of obedience will be that much greater on the other side)! I have committed to not being in an exclusive, committed..headed towards marriage relationship. I have committed to reengaging in my own life. To ensuring that I’m Enough for me as selfish as that might sound...before I can be enough for someone else I have to be content, present and joy-filled on my own because of who Christ created me to be. I have committed to being the best mom and best business owner I can be(I have let everything slide if the truth be known). Enough is enough. There is SOOOOO MUCH MORE to me, to life. Each week...grace please if I do not succeed, I will explore Wichita and other cities for activities to do that do not solely involve drinking. Again, I LOVE a good martini or glass of wine, but I want to have experiences that create last memories. Experiences that help me grow spiritually and physically. Call  me the modern day Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love. I have watched that movie more times than I can count in the last month but anyways, I plan to have some fun, completely free of the pressure to be what others or a man need me to be. I’m truly get excited thinking of the opportunities this new found freedom will bring. The immense growth and incredible realizations this will allow in the life of my children and in my own heart. 

My first adventure takes place next week and I am excited to try something new. Adventures will include some of the following, dining, gyms, climbing, desserts, guns, unheard of towns, dancing, concerts, music lessons, musicals....Not all adventures will take place at a physical location. Some, in the comfort of my own home. I want to create a list for other single woman who want to engage in more than just the meat market mentality. So as I adventure on, my hope is that you will choose to join me on the journey of self-discovery, peace and healing. My prayer is that you too will be inspired and encouraged!

This is going to be the best time of my life...I have an intuition!😍





Comments

  1. Wow Ashely! So moved by your words!! I have always felt such a positive, genuine vibe when I’m around you. The only way out is through-gosh! Can you imagine how much energy would be saved if we all just endured the pain instead of avoiding it? I’m looking forward to seeing all your upcoming adventures in the months ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment